Nov 3, 2016
0 0

MATCH REPORT: Anlaby Rangers v Driffield Pumas U 13's

Written by

Entering the Plate competition at the Preliminary round stage Anlaby found themselves playing Driffield Pumas from the Drypool League.

The early stages were evenly matched with both teams struggling to take control of the game. It was the away side who eventually broke the deadlock when a long ball wasn’t cleared effectively and Driffield capitalised, the ball was crossed and the unmarked forward gave Luke Chapman in the Anlaby goal no chance.  Anlaby didn’t create their first chance until the 15th minute when Alfie Sumpton shot straight at the keeper. This spurred Anlaby into action and moments later a snap shot from Ji Leonard went just wide.

With pressure mounting Anlaby deservedly equalised when a Jack Mortimer long throw was flicked on by Mutty Jaleel, rising like a salmon at the far post Alex Maynard headed home.

Anlaby were now on top and several chances were squandered or saved well by the Driffield keeper as the first half ended 1-1.

Anlaby started the second half slowly and it was Driffield who retook the league when a shot was well saved by Chapman but was followed up to make it 2.1.

It looked like it wasn’t going to Anlabys day when Chapman failed to hold onto a long ball and Driffield were more alert to the loose ball,  3.1 down and Anlaby were looking at an early exit from the Plate.

The game was end to end but Anlaby couldn’t find their rhythm, the game looked like it was drifting away until in the 30th minute Sumpton finally found his shooting boots, sprinting clear and coolly slotting it past the keeper.

Inspired by this the home team hunted the equaliser and it was Mutty Jaleel who delivered, rounding the keeper and firing home to send the game into extra time.

Anlaby struck first when Jack Mortimer burst through to hammer home, taking the lead for the first time in the game. 

As the second period progressed Driffield started to hit back and a mistake in the Anlaby  defence gifted them an opening and the game was back level. Driffield thought they were going to win the game but their penalty claim was waved away by the referee and the game went to a penalty shoot.

Anlaby took the early advantage scoring the first 2 penalties with Driffield first missing then Chapman saving superbly. Unfortunately the next 2 were missed with Driffield successful so it all came down to the 5th and final penalty.  Alex Maynard stepped up to make it 3-2, putting the pressure on the final Driffield penalty taker.  It was sweetly struck but Chapman guessed correctly and saved superbly to send Anlaby into the 1st round.

Article Categories:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *