Sep 12, 2016
0 0

MATCH REPORT: Hall Road Rangers (Reserves) V Selby Town

Written by

Hall Road Rangers (Reserves) – 7 – Selby  – 4

FA youth cup – Preliminary Round

The stage was set for the young Rangers side with the Haworth Park Pitch looking the part, the flood lights on and a decent crowd for the lads to play their football in front of and hopefully progress in this prestigious cup.  And progress they did running out 7-4 winners over Selby Town.

As an u-17 side it will always be a tough task . The early stages were very even with both sides conceding possession easily until on 18 minutes Brad Needham scored with a fine strike which sparked the game into a festival of football for all watching.

Selby where the much stronger side, physically responding within four minutes with well-worked goal with speedy and accuracy of passing.

Not to be out done though Jacob Todd on 28 minutes took the young team ahead again but just four  minutes later Selby had levelled again.

Would this be the pattern of the evening as half time came with both sides level at 2-2.

From the noise in the away dressing room it sounded like the visitors meant business and they came out of the blocks from the whistle.  Again the Rangers were the team to go ahead with an excellently worked passing free kick with Todd skidding in at the far post to begin the second half goal feast.

This time Selby took a little longer to respond and on 58 minutes the visitors centre forward, whom probably was the man of the match, causing problems all night with his intelligent running and superb forward play.

Archie Brown latched onto a poor ball out from defence on 60 minutes to again edge Rangers ahead. Not to be out done the away team striker netted his third with a deft dink of a finish on 65.

At 4-4 the game could have gone either way. The visitors now getting on top and Rangers forced into substitutes which to begin with knocked them out of their stride and the game seemed to be going away from the home team. ‘Your second wind is your best one’ trust me , and so it seemed with gaps appearing in the Selby team defence as they pushed for the winner .

Brown with his second with 15 minutes to go gave the Rangers a new life.   Brown completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Needham appeared to have been fouled in the box. The game in injury time saw the most pleasing goal of the night and maybe the season so far as a delightful chip from Mobarak Dahnug caught the keeper off his line.  It sealed the victory and send the young guns to Harrogate for the next round tie.

Massive thanks to our Match Sponsor on the night, blogger Backofthestand2 for his support and encouragement.

Article Categories:
Football · Mens

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *