Nov 22, 2016
0 0

MATCH REPORT: Hessle Rangers 3-3 Beverley Town

Written by

Hessle Rangers 3-3 Beverley Town (Town win 4-3 on penalties)

Town went into this game with five missing, but still fielded a very strong side, a testament to the strength and depth of the squad.

However, it was who Town got off to the worse possible start, going behind in the 4th minute to a good strike from the edge of the 18-yard box.

It wasn’t long before the game was level, some great footwork by Joe Norton in the Hessle box drew the foul, and Matty Littlefield slotted the penalty away after his kick was initially saved by the keeper.

Town continued to play good football and create chances. Right sided attacker Nathan Mist was terrorising the Hessle full-back, and it was Mist who had a great chance to put Town ahead, after a great flowing move. Unfortunately, the ball takes a slight bobble after Mist had rounded the keeper, and his shot nestled into the side netting.

Against the run of play Hessle went ahead again, another penalty this time calmly converted by the Hessle striker.

Half time Hessle  2-1 Town

Town picked up where they left off in the first half, playing excellent passing football, and constantly knocking on the door of the Hessle defence. It wasn’t until the 70th minute that they drew level when a short corner was worked well, and the cross fell kindly to Mathew Dixon who fired into the back of the net.

Full time 2-2

Extra time saw the introduction of winger Aldo Hysenaj, for the injured Mathew Dixon, and it was some great work from the Albanian that created Towns 3rd goal.  Hysenaj pressured the fullback, won the ball back and played a great ball into the path of Nathan White, who calmly finished with his right foot.

ET half-time 2-3

The second half of extra time saw Hessle throw caution to the wind, which left spaces in behind for Town to exploit. Hysenaj, White and Littlefield all had chances to score, but with the score at 2-3, there was always a chance of an equaliser. With only 30seconds left Hessle pumped the ball into the Town box, the ball was headed on, and the lose ball was hammered into the back of the net. A harsh blow for Town.

Full time 3-3

Penalties now ensued, and both teams had quality in abundance. However, Town ran out winners in sudden death, with stalwart Mike Dixon stepping up to calmly convert the winning penalty.

Manager Rich Jagger was delighted to progress to the quarter-finals of the cup “We played some great stuff again today. We’ve been putting in some great performances but not getting the result, so it was hard to take when we conceded in the last minute of extra time. However, the lads picked themselves up and showed great character to win on penalties.  Jordan Organ was outstanding in midfield, I thought the back four were very good, and young Aldo came on and made a massive contribution to the side. On the whole, everyone played a big part today. We now look forward to a home tie against Walkington in the quarter-finals.”


Article Categories:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *