MATCH REPORT: North Cave Tigers v Anlaby Rangers – Under 13 Wyke

Anlaby travelled to North Cave on a sunny Remembrance Sunday to play a side who on their day, are as good as any in the league.

Like their last visit to North Cave, Anlaby found the perfect playing conditions difficult to adapt to with pass after pass failing to find its target. The home side started to build in confidence and a ball over the top found their pacey striker who ran clear and hammered home after 7 minutes. Anlaby couldn’t find their rhythm and continue to work hard with little end product. North Cave had a second goal disallowed to the bewilderment of the home support and this proved costly as Anlaby equalised shortly after. A free kick close to the corner flag found its way to the far post and Alex Maynard had a tap in to equalise. Shortly before half time Anlaby took lead when Captain Jack Mortimer fed Alfie Sumpton out wide, he skipped past the defender before cutting in and beat the keeper at the near post.

As Anlaby started the second half they knew that North Cave would continue to battle hard but it was Anlaby who created the first chance. Ben Spencer who had been forced to defend for a majority of the first half finally managed to charge down the wing, whipping in a first time cross which Sumpton volleyed just wide. Anlaby continued to be trouble by the pace of North Cave and after ten minutes of the half they were punished when they failed to clear an attack and gifted the home team an equaliser. As so often this year, Jack Mortimer inspired his team back into the game when after a powerful run he hammered in a cross which was spilled by the keeper and  Jack Murphy was on hand to tap home.

Shortly after Anlaby suffered a massive blow when Alfie Sumpton fell heavily after a clash of legs and had to leave the pitch in agony. A subsequent visit to A&E confirmed the bad news and Anlaby will be without the striker for a long period.

North Cave continued to push for an equaliser their football probably deserved only to be denied by some good defending from Owen Fletcher and some good saves from Luke Chapman.

With five minutes remaining Anlaby made the game safe when after determined play from man of the match Jack Mortimer the ball fell to Jack Murphy whose shot took a massive deflection past the Cave keeper to make the final score 4-2 to Anlaby. Three more points in the bag for at a cost, get well soon Alfie from management and parents of both teams!

Leave a Comment